Location

Please check the route from your hotel / host family on www.map24.com and look for bus lines on www.amt.genova.it

Palazzo Ducale

Palazzo Ducale, a site of great historic significance admired not only by the Genoese, but also the whole region of Liguria, will host GeMUN 2015. Palazzo Ducale is located in the historic center of Genoa, in Piazza De Ferrari, the major social gathering place for the people of Genoa.

The construction of the palace began following two Genovese victories over Pisa and Venice, in 1284 and 1298. The design of the palace was intended to incorporate already existing nearby architecture, namely the churches of San Lorenzo and San Mateo. In 1294 the construction of the site was integrated with the adjacent Palazzo tower, becoming the first headquarters of the Doge of Genoa, thus attaining the name Ducale (of the duke) in 1339.

In 1591 Andrea Ceresola rebuilt the Palazzo, following the growing ideals of Renaissance art and architecture. The result was the building of several new additions to the Palazzo, and a complete transformation of the outer and inner walls, including the Doge’s Chapel, a series of frescoes adorning the walls of Ducale representing the rise of Genoa, and the Doge’s apartments.

In 1777, a fire destroyed numerous parts of the palace. Eventually, under the guidance of Simone Ticino, the palace was restored. However Palazzo Ducale’s greatest restoration took place in the late 20th century. At its reopening on May 14, 1992, Palazzo Ducale, with 38,000 square meters, and 300,000 cubic meters, became the largest restoration carried out.

In addition to Palazzo Ducale, Palazzo della Meridiana, and Palazzo Imperiale will also serve as host to GeMUN 2015.

Palazzo Tobia Pallavicino

Palazzo Tobia Pallavicino (Chamber of Commerce of Genoa)

Via Garibaldi, 4

The Carrega-Cataldi palace, or mansion Tobia Pallavicini, is a building located in Via Garibaldi at number 4, in the historical centre of Genoa. In 2006 it entered the list of the 42 palaces enrolled in the Rolli of Genoa, becoming World Heritage UNESCO. The building is now the headquarter of the Chamber of Commerce of Genoa.

History and Description

The palace was built between 1558 and 1561 for Tobia Pallavicino by Giovanni Battista Castello “Bergamasco” in collaboration with Bartolomeo Riccio, Domenico Antonio Solari and Roderio. The sixteenth century construction was made of a cubic block of two plus two mezzanine floors. The building did not undergo significant changes until the early eighteenth century, when it passed to the property of the Carrega family.

The interior decor reflects the two phases of the construction: the side walls and the ceiling of the main floor hall are entirely covered, thanks to the intervention of the Bergamasco, with grotesques and painted panels representing Citaredo Apollo with the Muses and musicians figures.

The eighteenth-century stage belongs to the chapel decorated by Lorenzo De Ferrari, whose architecture with a stucco and mock stucco, frames the fresco with a flight of angels. Also the door leaves are painted on canvas by the same artist who depicted two medallions with the Annunciation and the Nativity.

The gilded gallery that closes the eighteenth century structure of the building is a significant example of the Rococo style in Genoa. It was entirely conceived by De Ferrari between 1734 and 1744 following a unified design that blends gilded stucco, mirrors and frescoes. In the central medallion of the vault and on canvas in rounds are carried out the most important episodes of the Aeneid, by the Council of the Gods Round of the killing.

Berio Library

Berio Library

The Berio Library was built by Carlo Giuseppe Vespasiano Berio in the second half of the eighteenth century. It first opens to the public in Via del Campo, then in Campetto, Genoa.

At his death, in 1797, the Library passed to his heirs and in 1817 Francesco Maria Berio gave it to King Vittorio Emanuele I,who offered it to the town of Genoa.

The Civic Administration gained possession of the library in 1824 which led to a constant enrichment of valuable manuscripts and printed works.

In 1831 the Berio library got new headquarters in a palace built by the architect Carlo Barabino in the square in front of the Carlo Felice theater.

In the new location the Library expands by acquiring other halls, enriches its assets and increases its readers approximately 700 people per day.

During the second world war the library suffered grave damage, especially under the bombing of 1942.

After a long period of restauration and rearrangement in 1953 the Library opens to the public in May 1956.

In 1998, Berio Library moved to the seventeenth-century building in Via del Seminario current location, overlooking Colombo gallery and Piazza Dante.

The building is a complex of four different wings, each of them built in different year. The rooms provided for the GeMUN conference, are Sala Chierici and Sala Lignea.

The wing built in the 19 th century contains not only the foyer and the cafeteria on the ground floor, but also Sala Lignea on the second floor. Sala Lignea is furnished with tables and bookcases from the 19 th century.

Biblioteca Berio also has a modern wing, including the garden and the learning areas where students can often be seen studying.